Fwd: Review of INGEST document

Below is a message sent from Gail Hodge on Thursday 30th August asking
for a review of the draft of a revised document concerning the INGEST
document of OAIS. The deadline was fixed at 4th Sept.

Brian and I are the only ones of the epc who ploughed through the
earlier OAIS document to give our comments for the ICSTI meeting in
Columbus - Gail must have presented the results on the second day
because I can definitely remember listening attentively to her talk.
Although it is too late to comment on this new draft, I think it is
interesting for those who read the full OAIS document to have a look at
this revision.  It is only 44 pages long and a doc file. It shows up
alright in my version of Word. As it is so long, you can pick it up
from:

   ftp://ftp.unige.ch/pub/soft/crystal/epc/Ingest_5_1_July2001.doc
     (hope I typed that correctly!)

-----------

Dear ICSTI Members,

As you know last year, several ICSTI members were involved in providing
comments to the ISO group working on the Open Archival Information
System
Reference Model which has proven to be key to many major digital
archiving
and preservation projects, including those of some ICSTI members.

The ICSTI review group and others suggested that the OAIS group spend
additional effort to further define the INGEST process, which
gathers/harvests/inputs materials into an OAIS compliant archive.

Here is the draft INGEST document which has been released for comment.
Unfortunately, comments are needed by September 5.  If you have any
comments,
please send them to me by COB on September 4 and I will combine them and
forward to Donald Sawyer.

I would encourage you to provide comments since this reflects the role
that
many of you as secondary database producers might play in digital
preservation.

Gail Hodge
Technical Operations Manager
ICSTI Secretariat

gailhodge@aol.com
+1 610/789-6769

--
VISITING GENEVA? See http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/geneva02.html

Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone: +41 22 702 62 49
24 quai Ernest-Ansermet             mailto:Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch
CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland                   Fax: +41 22 702 61 08