Major coreDMG tasks in 2014: reviewing coreCIF and the new DDLmdictionary

  • To: Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Major coreDMG tasks in 2014: reviewing coreCIF and the new DDLmdictionary
  • From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:41:58 +1100
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113;h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;bh=7BYmbDU5+hTLFDA9U3LZpRDX5U/Ase2PzKmFZXLtY0g=;b=yiwL9rf7IpAnRKJNu9dVxLmlYVU/o7bZSxtZvRy0wOmVeUCPe0CdNkMu+ovVY5H94IoiIJyttDK36YpgIkEZ8IghD5TvJiq7+ILJqzEaoPsTN1o4NwMMDiAypikhwuZRPhe4aallqnFRH+k3LKxbQnD95sVffxOt1DtgJEpWHofBGuOYYwl/qTHAbOz5EMzsPGwmYDZbz4X0oF66TpyRra/MD611NRGAkc11B6KVq99ubRlmOzPXZyCRWM4j+NMzvkrPNIX/BLXeTgPHPD93h796qo276ipQ78/Dh09+zt2kJfnULhLjlTZmXa3p5TmUBdmlPKqSSVmqrIvyqWGNJg==
Dear CIF Core DMG members,

It is now almost 9 years since the core dictionary was vetted and prepared for publication in Volume G.  The time has come to conduct a proper review and update in light of changes in the areas covered by the core CIF dictionary.  As a small example, encapsulation of reduced neutron Laue diffraction data is difficult using current definitions.  I expect that there have likewise been other developments in both techniques and data processing that are best addressed by updates to current definitions rather than new auxiliary dictionaries.

Given the need for input over a broad range covering at least instrumentation, neutron/electron/x-ray techniques, and data analysis, I have asked Brian to setup up a dedicated IUCr web forum to improve the organisation of so much diverse information while simultaneously allowing as many of you as possible to provide considered contributions that might otherwise get lost amongst long email trails.

2013 also gave us an improved dictionary language, DDLm.  A major innovation in DDLm is the capacity to express relationships between datanames mathematically in a way that is both human and machine-readable. The Perth group have provided browser-based tools that allow these mathematical expressions to be developed and tested, together with a draft core CIF dictionary written in DDLm and based on our current DDL1 dictionary.  Given the almost perfect overlap between the two dictionaries, it makes sense to combine our review of the DDL1 core CIF with a review and approval of the DDLm version.

I think we can aim to have completed both these projects by the end of the year.

best wishes
James Hester (acting chair, coreDMG)