Re: EPC: replacing the IUCr listserv with freeware Mailman program

The epc-l discussion list is now operating under the mailman software.
For convenience it has been renamed as epc@iucr.org, although the old alias
epc-l will continue to work for the time being.

As Lachlan has pointed out in frustration several times, the old listproc
software has been showing its age for some time, and is no longer actively
supported. mailman provides much better handling of modern types of mail,
and has better privacy and anti-spamming controls. There is also a very nice
user interface which allows subscribers to change their own accounts easily,
and administrators or moderators to manage the lists far more easily.

Howard is helping me to understand the best ways of managing lists within
this new environment, and once I've gained a few more days practice I'll
begin migrating the other existing lists to the new system. This will be
of most immediate relevance to Lachlan, who runs some of the commission lists.

I looked long and hard at sympa, Yves' recommendation. What I had for some
time intended to do was indeed to implement sympa, in part because of its
support for LDAP, in parallel with development of LDAP versions of the
World Directory. This would allow closer integration of mailing lists
and the other IUCr services that depend on user authentication. However,
at this stage LDAP implementation is still some way off in the future,
and a large-scale shakeup of our mail processing system has encouraged
me to go for mailman as the simpler solution in the short term.

If you are interested in exploring the subscriber user interface, check out
   http://scripts.iucr.org/mailman/listinfo/epc
which will incidentally give you a sneak preview of a candidate restyling
for the Crystallography Online web pages.

Regards
Brian