Re: Final draft of Phase-ID report

Dear David,
I have read and approve the final draft of the Phase-ID report.

I am sorry I have nothing extra to contribute, as my interest is
in organic molecules in the CSD, and have no direct experience of the
complications in high symmetry inorganic compounds.  The only comments I
can make are from the practical viewpoint of uniquely identifying a
polymorph of a given compound in the CSD.

1. The IUPAC chemical identifier

I presume this can be constructed by algorithm from the CSD connectivity
table. This is not a trivial task, and I see in the report
that the IChI string ignores bonds to metals. About 50% of the CSD
consists organometallic complexes, which give us at CCDC plenty of
trouble in assigning a
chemical diagram, i.e. our topology description. Much of the ambiguity
depends on the exact nature of the bonding of ligand atoms to the
metals. Another worrying matter for organic structures is the
placing of H atoms in the topology, this is sometimes  ambiguous in
organometallic complexes, but usually quite precise in CSD descriptions
for organic salts, and tautomeric forms.

So I imagine in the CSD there will be many compounds with
same sum-formula, same IChI, same space group, and I think then the
discriminating layer must be the reduced cell parameters.

2. Space groups related as chiral pairs

A quick look in the CSD shows 330 entries with setting P41. Of these
there were 18 flagged as having a stereoisomer present in CSD, and
often these are a different space group. However there are 28/330
which are flagged 'absolute configuration', and in some way it would be
best to indicate that this has been determined and the space group
really is P41, not P43 e.g.. AFUTIE, AFUTOK.

There are only about 3000 compounds in the CSD which are present in
two or more polymorphic forms. Very often they are in different space
groups, but not always, for example indigo (INDIGO, INGIGO02) both
P21/c, Z=2, can only be distinguished on reduced cell parameters.

3. The Wyckoff sequence

I think this will rarely  be a useful field for
identification of organic crystals.

Yours sincerely,
Sam Motherwell