Re: Another suggestion for the BNF

  • Subject: Re: Another suggestion for the BNF
  • From: "Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:53:39 +0100 (BST)
--- Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org> wrote:
> Herbert is correct that there is not yet an "official" specification for CIF
> syntax incorporating a BNF, although COMCIFS has been working towards such a
> reference document for some time and has an advanced draft in hand.
>
> However, so long as it is understood that a BNF representation is necessarily
> incomplete, I rather welcome this round of discussion, both because it helps
> resolve errors or ambiguities in the current draft and because it is an
> excellent example of community cooperation in working towards a common
> understanding of the standard and guarding against the proliferation of
> dialects.

I am strongly inclined to agree with Brian, but I am curious about Herbert's
position: is there an alternative to Nick's BNF draft that could be used to
focus the efforts of the developer community in a productive way? Also, could
it be explained in detail where the BNF fails to represent the CIF syntax and
grammar?
Thanks,
        Ralf