Re: Draft and analysis of proposed change to DDL1.4 to fix_atom_site_aniso_label

I think this would be a wonderful topic to discuss in Florence.
One issue to consider is the very important need to be able
to reliably load CIF data into a database, be able to update
the information in the database, and then be able to extract
views of the data from the database that serve the needs of
different user communities.  To this end, I would like to
suggest that we embed within the DDL structure a clear
clean path from any CIF to a fully normalized relational
datbase structure.  DDL2 is already very close to that ideal
as is STARDDL. As changes are made in DDL1 or in merging DDL1
with STARDDL to make a new-DDL, it would be helpful if we did
that there  as well.  This does not mean that every CIF has to be
decomposed into its lowest level tables, but it should mean
given any CIF and two new-DDL-compliant applications loading
the same CIF into a fully normalized internal database, they
will alway end up with the same table structure internally,
because the relevant dictionary had made all the category
and parent-child relationship clear.

This means that the core-cif dictionary really should have
an atom_site_aniso category and that all the atom_site_aniso
tags should be moved into that category, and we should
accept Nick's approach of allowing CIFs to be presented
with tables made up from two or more categories by joins.
There is a good example of this in the STARDDL documentation.
As long as we know the full category structure this
does no harm in the database load context and gives great
flexibility to users and application programmers in working
with denormalized versions of the data structure for the
sake of efficiency.  Yes, this does increase the burden
on CIF software library developers.  Nothing would need
to change for software writing CIFs.  Whether they write
aone atom_site loop with atom_site_aniso tags mixed in
or write two separate loops, their CIFs would be valid.
But processors for CIF reading would have to accept the
possibility that they might have to normalize a combined
table by distributing its contents into multiple tables,
or, if they wanted to work with a denormalized table, that
they might have to do a join internally.  I think it is time
to take at least that much from the approach suggested
by STARDDL.

               Office:  +1-631-244-3035
            Lab (KSC 020): +1-631-244-3451