Re: Draft and analysis of proposed change to DDL1.4 tofix _atom_site_aniso_label

I have been reading this correspondence with interest (as have other
members of the group), but I did not feel that I had much to offer as
James and Nick seemed to be sorting things out on their own.  James'
resolution of the problem, suggesting additions to the DDL1 dictionary,
sounds like a good fix which certainly encapsulates the essence of what
we were thinking when we developed the _atom_site section of the core
dictionary.  The separate aniso loop was put in because many people
seemed to like keeping the positional and displacements parameters in
separate tables, and this was the convention adopted by SHELX and other
software, presumably in order to keep each row of the table on one 80
character line.  The _atom_site_aniso_label was added only because STAR
did not allow _atom_site_label to be repeated in the second loop.  I
should point out, however, that COMCIFS does not have authority to
change or approve DDLs, it can only approve CIF dictionaries.  I am not
sure who is in charge of DDLs, probably Nick and Syd.

As Nick pointed out we developed CIF by the seat of our pants.  The
first CIF dictionary was conceived as a typeset printed document and it
was only later that it was realized that it could be typeset by storing
the dictionary on a computer as a STAR document.  Still later it was
realized that a STAR dictionary could be used to validate CIFs and even
later that it was realized that CIFs could have a relational structure.
Thus DDL was developed on the fly to accommodate CIF dictionaries that
were already well developed.  During this period Acta Cryst. was tooling
up to accept structure reports in CIF and decisions had to be made
quickly at a time when it was impossible to foresee all the implications
of what we were doing.  There were also compromises that were thought
necessary to make CIF acceptable to the community, and it was in this
spirit that Acta Cryst. accepted many CIFs into its archives that were
not strictly CIF conformant.

Software has taken a long time to catch up with the potential of what
was designed into CIF and its DDLs.  Browser-editors that validate
coreCIFs against the dictionary have only appeared in the last couple of
years, more than a decade after the release of the core dictionary, and
even these do not validate the relational structure.  By hindsight
(i.e., with ten years experience as well as the appearance of XML) it is
clear that we should have done some things differently, and at Florence
we need to review the whole question of where CIF goes from here.  We
may decide that we need to adopt starDDL which has been more carefully
thought out, but there will be a cost.  All the dictionaries will need
to be revised, the changes will have to be sold to the community and the
trauma of transition will have to be minimized.  It would, however, give
us a chance to get it right the second time.

Apparently there has been a systems failure in Chester, which is why
there is been such a stunning silence from that quarter.

David Brown
begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773