Re: Cif dictionary version numbers

I agree that three level numbering is useful

> So I would favour leaving the version labelling as now, but changing the
> type of _dictionary_version in any new DDL1 release that results from this
> and other of the recent bug reports.

The only problem with this is that it completely rules out any future
parsing of version numbers.  Reading three numbers would be plausible,
but not once free form text such as 'beta' starts being added; and once
it is a free form text field there is no telling what form of words will
be used.
The alternative I would prefer would be simply to drop the second point e.g.

1.0.1 -> 1.01
2.3.1 -> 2.31

This still means we get three level numbering, but can also treat the
values as numbers.  The only restriction is that we can only have nine
minor (0.1) revisions.
I think that text such as 'beta' can and should be included in the
_dictionary_name.  There it is more likely to be obvious to users than
in the version field.

Matt