RE: _item_related.function_code

Dear Richard,

I read DDL2 and the mmCIF dictionary the same way you do.  In the scope of the definition of _atom_site.refinement_flags, the defined item is _atom_site.refinement_flags, so the dictionary fragment you presented says that _atom_site.refinement_flags replaces each of _atom_site.refinement_flags_adp, _atom_site.refinement_flags_occupancy, and _atom_site.refinement_flags_posn, which is inconsistent with the definitions of the corresponding Core dictionary items.  One cannot simply argue that we are reading DDL2 wrongly, for the current mmCIF dictionary uses the related item feature inconsistently.  Items _diffrn_reflns_class.av_sgI/I and _reflns_shell.meanI_over_sigI_gt use the 'replaces' code in the same sense that _atom_site.refinement_flags does, but items _database_2.database_id and _database_2.database_code use it in the opposite sense (consistent with the DDL2 bit you cited).  There are no uses of "replacedby" and no other uses of "replaces" in the current mmCIF dictionary
 .

One group of definitions or the other must be erroneous.  Inasmuch as mmCIF attempts to be consistent with the Core dictionary, I think it is safe to assume that it is the definitions of _atom_site.refinement_flags, _diffrn_reflns_class.av_sgI/I, and _reflns_shell.meanI_over_sigI_gt that are wrong.  The corresponding DDL1 feature for related items uses code 'replace' for what DDL2 calls 'replacedby': "'replace' signals that the item referred to in _related_item may be used identically to replace the defined item."  All of the erroneous mmCIF definitions are drawn from the Core, so perhaps the errors arise from faulty machine translation of the Core dictionary ('replace' --> 'replaces' instead of 'replace' --> 'replacedby').

I'm not sure who is responsible for mmCIF dictionary maintenance, but there are others listening to this list who do.  That's where this needs to go.

Best Regards,

John
--
John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.