Re: CIF-JSON draft 2017-05-15

On 16 May 2017 at 03:30, Robert Hanson <hansonr@stolaf.edu> wrote:
I have several friendly suggestions. I think the way to do this is to just give you a link to a Google Doc that has my suggested changes made in it, and let you react to that.

I think this one is going to take some more elaboration:

Entries at the same position in JSON list datavalues correspond to one another if the datanames belong to the same category.

Yes, I had trouble expressing this concisely but clearly. It is merely a statement of the obvious, that values in the same row of a CIF loop belong together.  This is not normally expressed explicitly as we all know how to interpret a table.  A somewhat more precise statement would be "The value at position n of a JSON list datavalue for a dataname belonging to category C corresponds to the value(s) at position n of the JSON list datavalue(s) of the key dataname(s) of category C".

I thought it best to add this in as, having removed the visual tabulation provided by CIF loops, there is no longer a strong implication that values at the same position in the lists belong together.  Can you or anybody suggest a more understandable form of text?

Bob