Re: mmCIF specification

Hi Marcin,

Images would be the province of imgCIF. I often find it hard to pin down the exact key in some imgCIF categories, but I *think* what you need is a pointer to _diffrn_data_frame.id, which is according to Vol G a unique identifier for each frame of data (a frame is the complete image formed by all modules of the detector at a single scan step).  As far as I am aware there is not yet a facility in PDBx/mmCIF to link unmerged h,k,l spots and the frame that they came from, but as PDBx is so large it is probably worth asking on the developers' forum what the situation is.  Let us know back here what answer you get.  Herbert Bernstein is probably also on our cif-developers list and may have something to suggest.

As far as core CIF is concerned, a way to map imgCIF into core CIF has been sketched out, but the machinery is not yet in place. The concept is that a DDLm core CIF extension dictionary would take core CIF to the same category structure as imgCIF (which is mmCIF + a few extra key data names in a few diffrn categories), after which it would be simple to add columns to diffrn_refln indicating which frame the data come from.  If you would be interested in contributing to this effort let me know and I'll provide more information.

all the best,
James.