Re: new CCC term

Hi Ralf et al

Thanks again for taking over.

Apropos your points -

(1) I'm reasonably agnostic on the name, but I think it depends on
what "we" actually want the event to be. The past three (Siena, Kyoto,
Oviedo) were originally intended to help to try to educate the next
generation of crystallographic programmers, hence "School". A high
ratio of tutors/lecturers:students was built in so that the students
could have close interaction with the experts; a consequence of this
was that each event had a real workshop atmosphere, rather than one of
a traditional teaching school.

Whatever "we" decide, it should be called something that will attract
the target audience. Might "Workshop" attract people who would more
normally be interested in going to a "code camp" (which I think would
be a very different kind of event)?

A comment made to me privately when I asked a (senior) participant "If
you were to change one thing to improve the School, what would you
change?" was "I wouldn't call it a School".

When I presented CompComm's report to the IUCr Executive Committee, a
member of the Exec reported that a couple of the participants said
"the Oviedo School was the best meeting that they had ever been to" -
in light of that, I think we have a winning formula.

(2) As you know, I think Ottawa would be absolutely fine.

(3) Having the Workshop after the Congress would mean it would have a
very different atmosphere - to a certain extent, participants may be
"all conferenced out" (tired after a hard week in Montreal - at least
those who went to both). Holding the workshop before the Congress
means that the participants are fresher, and so can work harder at the
Workshop itself.

For the younger participants who attend both events, it means that
they have already met some of the "great minds" in Crystallography in
a relatively intimate atmosphere before the Congress - so they know
that they are human and not gods on pedestals...

The CompComm Workshop in 1999 followed the Glasgow IUCr - it had
nothing of the atmosphere of the last three Schools. I found it rather
hard going.

On balance, I would prefer the Workshop to precede the Congress.

In the Northern hemisphere, August is more traditionally a holiday
month than July (e.g. "chiuso per le ferie" is common in Italy in
August) - I'm sure that those with families would be happier to have
more of August available!

The important thing is to get the dates sorted out early, and
advertised to the community so that clashes can be avoided by
organisers of other  meetings. As far as CompComm is concerned, this
has been our principal activity in the triennium; since it is also
(apparently) a flagship meeting for the IUCr, we should be prepared to
be assertive in our choice - i.e. let other people work around us,
rather than vice-versa.

Just my two ha'porth....

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre,
Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 0QH