Re: [Query re: cif_core 2.1 definitions]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Query re: cif_core 2.1 definitions]
  • From: a.l.spek@chem.uu.nl (a.l.spek)
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:43:07 GMT
Brian,

	Firstly, SHELXL & Sheldrick are right !!

	This is an old discussion/misconception.

	An atom on a two-fold axis will in general have full occupancy = 1.0

          However, such an atom occours only 1/2 the number of times in the
          unit cell as it would on a general position.

          In order to take this atom correctly into the structure factor
          calculations it should be given population = 1/2 * 1.0 = 1/2
          which is the number used in the '.res' file for this atom.
          In the CIF it still should have occupancy 1.0.

          The whole issue would be less confusing when structure factors
          were calculated for all atoms (thus symmetry expanded) in the
          triclinic unit cell. In such a protocol, occupation and population
          will become identical because atoms on a twofold axis will occur
          automatically only half of the time.

        Hopefully this clarifies somewhat.

       Ton Spek

Co-Editor Acta Cryst C