Re: [Query re: cif_core 2.1 definitions]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Query re: cif_core 2.1 definitions]
  • From: "George M. Sheldrick" <gsheldr@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:59:43 GMT
Dear Brian,

I received the question that you referred to several days ago together
with a copy of a CIF file. The full text of my reply follows, I would
have thought that it is clear enough, taking into account that the
person who asked the question is an experienced crystallographer!

I see no need to change anything, though possibly to avoid such
confusion in the future a footnote could be added to both definitions to
say that some refinment programs (e.g. SHELX) combine these two
logically distinct quantities into one number in their input files
because this is required for the structure factor calculation anyway,
but that these programs output the two numbers separately in their CIF
output files as required by the CIF definitions.

I get many such trivial questions each day, but try to be diplomatic in
my replies.

Best wishes, George

Full text of my reply:

Dear Richard,

If you look up the CIF core definitions you will see that your
CIF file is entirely correct. When I wrote SHELX in the late
1960's, it seemed a good idea save memory by combining occupancy
and site multiplicity into a single number. Many years later
the authors of CIF decided to quote them separately. Both
conventions have advantages and disadvantages.

Best wishes, George

Brian McMahon wrote:

> Dear Colleagues
>
> I have received the following inquiry from a user. Do others see there to be
> a real problem here? Have you any suggestions for a clean resolution?
>
> Regards
> Brian

Prof. George M. Sheldrick
Dept. Structural Chemistry