Re: [dddwg] BCA 2016 talk slides now available

Dear Brian,
For clarification http://proteindiffraction.org is free for users uploading and downloading data.  So, it is as free of charge as Zenodo. My understanding is that SBGRID and ESRF are limited to their users (??) but still free.  Free means only that somebody else than user is paying for it. In our case, it is NIH. In case of ESRF, it is ESRF.
Best regards
Wladek

On 4/11/2016 7:18 AM, Brian McMahon wrote:> Dear Wladek>> John has asked me to reply on our joint behalf since he is away from> his email for much of today.>> The "free of charge" on the slide referred to Zenodo offering> its hosting services without cost to the *depositor* - this is> not necessarily true of other general-purpose data repository> suppliers. We have subsequently noted, though (https://zenodo.org/faq),> that even this does not necessarily hold true for very high volumes of> deposited data.>> Nothing is free of cost overall, of course. We note that Zenodo's> costs are currently covered by public money through EU grants to CERN.>> "Free of charge" might also have been construed as free of charge to> the end user. There is the more general issue that not all repositories> are open access (free of charge and of use restrictions to the end user).>> Such a situation can exist for example when an existing repository loses> its public funding and might have been told for example to seek private> funds, e.g. from subscribers, to be self sustainable. This was not> atypical and might have arisen from the good intentions of a funding> agency before the era of the 'open access' paradigm. This illustrates> the need to build long-term strategies that are not dependent on current> funding models retaining their status quo forever. For example, Research> Data Alliance and CODATA are coordinating a discussion and the development> of a helpful policy document for the full range of business models for> repositories, free to the end user through to not free for the end user,> cataloguing their strengths and weaknesses of approach. See e.g.>>    https://rd-alliance.org/sites/default/files/attachment/S.%20Hodson%20Business%20Models%20Presentation.pdf>> Best wishes> Brian>>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 05:08:02PM -0400, Wladek Minor wrote:>> John,>>>> Great presentation.  I have one question - what is the meaning of "free>> of charge" for Zenodo ? All repositories are free of charge although>> SBGRID is limited to SBRGRID subscribers.>>>> Best regards>>>> Wladek>>>> On 4/9/2016 3:30 PM, John Helliwell wrote:>>> Hi,>>> A PDF of the finalised talk slides I presented at BCA 2016 in Nottingham>>> are now available here:->>> http://forums.iucr.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=371>>> Greetings,>>> John>>>>> -- >> Dr. Wladek Minor>> Professor of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics>> Phone: 434-243-6865>> Fax: 434-982-1616>> http://krzys.med.virginia.edu/CrystUVa/wladek.htm>> _______________________________________________>> dddwg mailing list>> dddwg@iucr.org>> http://mailman.iucr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dddwg> _______________________________________________> dddwg mailing list> dddwg@iucr.org> http://mailman.iucr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dddwg
-- Dr. Wladek MinorProfessor of Molecular Physiology and Biological PhysicsPhone: 434-243-6865Fax: 434-982-1616http://krzys.med.virginia.edu/CrystUVa/wladek.htm

US-mail address:Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological PhysicsUniversity of VirginiaPO Box 800736, Charlottesville, VA 22908-0736
Fed-Ex address:Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics1340 Jefferson Park AvenueUniversity of VirginiaCharlottesville, VA 22908