Re: [ddlm-group] Relationship of CIF2 to legacy platforms

Title:
I have no strong views on line length, but the arrguments for keeping them seem a little stronger than those for abolishing them.  I have no views at all on how long the lines should be other than to note that Acta Cryst. programs get upset if there are more than 80 characters in a line.

David

James Hester wrote:
We should resolve the Fortran line length issue as I think we've got
enough information on the table - could those who haven't indicated
their preference please vote either

(1) CIF2 should have a maximum line length specified or
(2) no line length should be specified.

For bonus points, you can indicate what this length should be.

So (including Nick's recent email) I count the votes as:

(1) Herbert (>=2048), Nick (2048), James (4096)
(2) Joe

I've added my vote to the fixed line length simply because I accept
Herbert's argument that legacy Fortran programs are actually important
in the crystallographic world, and a restriction on line length does
not impose a burden on CIF readers.  It also imposes a bit of
discipline on CIF writers and helps to produce a readable file.