Re: [ddlm-group] UTF-8 BOM

I would be happy to call an embedded BOM a syntax error.

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Bollinger, John C <John.Bollinger@stjude.org> wrote:

[..edited out...]

In other words, almost anything other than what's currently in the spec.  I'm OK with treating it as a printing character (ala the current spec), though that is my least preferred alternative.  Doing so is probably the worst choice for compatibility with the kinds of manipulations we're discussing, however.

If you don't treat an embedded BOM as a printing character or as whitespace, and you don't ignore it (which I agree we should not do), then does that leave any alternative other than to account it an error?

Cheers,

John