Re: [ddlm-group] UTF-8 BOM

Let me see if I understand this correctly -- a user takes 2 perfectly good
CIF2 files, edits each to clean up, say, some comments to keep straight
where one begins and one ends, using a well-designed modern text editor
that happens to put a BOM at the start of each file, concatenates the two
files with cat to ship them into the IUCr, and suddenly they have a syntax
error caused by a character that they cannot see!!!

To me this seems pointless when it is trivial for software to recognize
the character and handle it sensibly.