Re: [ddlm-group] A modest addition to the DDLm spec. .

On Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:18 AM, SIMON WESTRIP wrote:

>First thought is how does this work in loops?
>
>loop_ _item
>'abc' + 'def'

One specific (but synthetic) example I was thinking of was along the same lines:

loop_
 _amino_acid.code
 _amino_acid.optical_rotation_direction
 'ALA' +
 'ARG' +
 'LEU' -

>But I need to check whether + is one of the characters that is not allowed to start a
>non-delimited string...

It is not.  Those are " ' _ $ [ {
If the proposal is adopted then adding + to that list would reduce the added complications for parsing.  That would be incompatible with using the optional leading + with numeric values, however.

>Otherwise I see no reason not to explore this.

I see no reason at all not to explore it.  Notwithstanding the above, I have not yet formed an opinion on this question.

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.
Department of Structural Biology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital