Re: [ddlm-group] Relationship asmong CIF2, STAR, CIF1 and Python. .

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 02:47:44PM -0500, Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:

>   I think we first have to decide if we will or will
> not try to align CIF2 to either the new or the old
> STAR, or try to negotiation with the unknown body
> that controls STAR some sort of a common spec.
>
>   Then, depending on that decision, some of
> the prior decisions about CIF2 may or may not be
> forced to change and others may or may not be seen
> in a new light.

I suggest that we complete this revision of CIF2 (which has been in the
"spirit" of STAR, even if sometimes making inorrect assumptions over how
that should constrain future development) and consider at some point in the
(possibly remote) future whether the CIF2 revision should be used as the
basis to retrofit a new STAR specification (see my recent post for more
of the rationale to this).

Strictly, the IUCr holds the patent on the original STAR File and thus has
the authority to control its future disposition. In being relaxed about the
de facto modifications that have already taken place, the IUCr has been
trying to encourage useful development rather than get diverted into tedious
legal or contract arguments. At the moment I think no useful purpose is to
be served by sticking religiously to any particular idea of what now
constitutes STAR. But, as I argue elsewhere, since so much of existing CIF
programming and planning for future evolution has been informed by the STAR
syntactic framework, I see no good reason to gratuitously abandon our
current approach altogether.

Regards