Re: [ddlm-group] Fwd: Fwd: Searching for a compromise on eliding

Dear James,

   Thank you.  I trust you appeciate that for somebody used
to the C and Python-style handling of the reverse solidus,
such as myself, the difference beteen this rule and the C/Pythn rules,
which would have converted n backslahes into n/2 backslahes
for even n and (n-1)/2 backslahes plus a backslash, this
is disconcerting and confusing.  When I look at

``line 1 \\\
line 2``

and

``line 1 \\\\\
line 2``

I see

<start>line 1 \line 2<finish>

and

<start>line 1 \\line 2><finish>

The question is thus not one of which approach (G or P-prime)
is more confusing, but one of which one is more confusing
for whom?