neXus cost models

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <epc-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: neXus cost models
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:48:09 GMT
>> I think the reference to the IUCr Newsletter has to do with an idea we
>> suggested of distributing the neXus CD-ROM with issues of the Newsletter,
>> yes?
>
> Yes - as the cost was already being born for delivery - could
> save on costs and make it a feature of the newsletter.

Peter Strickland reminds me that the cost of distributing a CD-ROM with the
Newsletter will be far from trivial; at a print-run of over 12,000 the costs
of pressing disks, packaging and excess mailing will be substantial (and one
needs to check whether the low-cost postage granted by the US Post Office
will allow the carrying of such inserts). Corporate sponsorship would seem
to be the best way forward with this; but it would be asking a lot to get
sponsorship of a new CD-ROM with every edition of the Newsletter - perhaps a
one-off to publicise the disk to the world?

My own opinion is that it's rather early to consider such ambitious
distribution plans: we need first to implement the project and press some
sample disks. But coordinating at least one release with the Newsletter is
certainly an idea to keep in the melting pot.