Re: Paperwork for neXus

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <epc-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Paperwork for neXus
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 12:00:18 GMT
Forwarded message:
> From L.M.D.Cranswick@dl.ac.uk Mon Mar  9 11:50 GMT 1998
> From: L.M.D.Cranswick@dl.ac.uk (L. Cranswick)
> Subject: Re: Paperwork for neXus
> To: bm@iucr.org (Brian McMahon)
> Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 11:50:12 +0000 (GMT)
>
> Not sure if I should be emailing to the list as well?  Default is no
> unless stated otherwise.

No, it's a closed list - relay all your correspondence through me. At
present I'm forwarding most of your comments to the list, because it's
useful for everyone to be aware of what we're discussing initially; but soon
we'll take the real technical stuff away from the list.

> Will think about the other things more before replying.
>
> > I would guess that authors might wish to know under what terms their
> > material would be redistributed (specifically whether the IUCr would charge
> > for redistributed copies), and so it might also be useful for us to discuss
> > the preferred charging model for the CD-ROM at this stage.
>
> My preference to start with is to give the CD-ROM away with the
> newsletter - and to pay for it - have sponsorship of the CD-ROM.
>
> (i.e., by incorporating company logos on the CD cover, the banner -
> and including their website).  This could be revenue neutral or
> even revenue positive - extra admin from selling individual copies
> of the CD-ROM could be quite a pain.
>
> In the permissions letter - let the Web-page owners know what is
> happening in this regard.
>
> ---
>
> If this is impractical - at least free to labs that really
> can't afford to pay(?).  Though it should be noted that now days,
> the practical way of getting a new product out - is to give
> the first few versions away to get a critical mass of users -
> then charge money.
>
> Lachlan.
>
> --
> Lachlan M. D. Cranswick
> Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
>     for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
> Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
> Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603173  Room C14
> E-mail: l.cranswick@dl.ac.uk
> CCP14 Webpage (Under heavy reconstruction):
>    http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP14/
>
> Crystallographic Nexus Virtual Web and Internet on CD-ROM:
>      http://www.unige.ch/crystal/stxnews/nexus/index.htm
>
> Personal Crystallographic WWW:
>                     http://www.unige.ch/crystal/stxnews/stx/volnteer.htm
> Commission on Powder Diffraction, Quantitative Phase Analysis Round Robin:
>                                   http://www.dl.ac.uk/SRS/XRD/IUCR/QARR/
> Society of Crystallogaphers in Australia (SCA):   http://www.sca.asn.au/

                      ^^^
             Crystallographers (once an editor...)

> Australasian Web Publishers Association: (AWPA):  http://www.awpa.asn.au/
> Australian X-ray Analytical Association (AXAA):
>                                   http://www.latrobe.edu.au/www/axaa/

Cheers