Re: Legal deposit libraries

I agree with Lachlan: as a scientist I do not see any reason why not to
permit to scientists to read the e-journals from the repository libraries
locations.

However from the business point of view which is also not to be neglected,
the Union should be careful to avoid unwanted dissemination of the
information. In his message Peter gave Münskgaard answer which summarizes
the point. I would be personnaly in favour to give a free copy to Oxford
library (and also a few others?). A contract should be signed explaining the
limits of use of this copy together with the intention from Oxford to
archive the information. Maybe it could be a means to relieve the Union of
the burden of maintaining long term archives and translating them to new
supports.

With best regards,
--
   Prof. Yves Epelboin, LMCP, Université P.M. Curie,
   case 115, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France