Re: Mirroring of the journals site

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <epc-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Mirroring of the journals site
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:16:31 +0100 (BST)
>   So I wonder how many people have managed to discover that
> journalsonline is in fact being mirrored at all. I must admit that I was
> made aware of this fact on reading your e-mail of this morning.
> Certainly now I look, I see that I could have been using
> www.ch.iucr.org/iucr-top/journalsonline/.... but in fact never made any
> use of it.

People will come across the mirrored contents (unwittingly) by following
internal links from their local mirror.

>   All of the journal alerts ...use complete URLs in the style
> http://journals.iucr.org/...

Citing the alternative links would only confuse people.

> Likewise any hyperlinks ... anywhere within Crystallography
> Online have been installed as http://journals.iucr.org/.... and never as
> /iucr-top/journalsonline/.....

Yes, that's fine. We've always been cautious about committing to the
journalsonline subdirectory in perpetuity. It exists (for now) and will on
occasion benefit people who come to it through their internal links.

>   All I read in newspapers, weeklys, and see with the collapse of ISPs
> around here is that nobody is making enough money from internet
> advertising to cover their costs.

See my comments to Lachlan - we must assume that our income will be
modest.  However, it's amazing what can be done by sufficiently persuasive
salespeople. The new-look BCA Newsletter is positively overflowing with
colourful ads.

>   If in practice one finds that journalsonline can be run satisfactorily
> without mirrors, it seems to me that one should seriously consider
> running the whole of crystallographyonline without mirrors.

Yes. Then there would be more freedom to generate dynamic content because
you are not restricted by the limitations of mirrors. Though it might be
better to contract one other fully-functional mirror at a remote location to
provide redundancy in the case of systems failure; however, the costs are
not then negligible - they would be comparable to the amount we pay for
the London server.