Re: Mirroring of the journals site

Sorry for answering today but I was in Berlin past week with a vey bad
weather when it is summer in Paris!

Mirroring of Journals:
>From what I see on my site the abstracts only are mirrored, not the
contents of the papers themselves.

Thus it means that the question is relative to the abstracts pages only.

1 - advertising
It is true that I would be placed in a delicate position if adds were to
appear on this page. Puting a link to somewhere else would solve this
problem.

2 - Statistics

I am very skeptical about the statistics you may provide. A number of
requests come from the machines which scan the Web day and night. The
origin of the request is often hidden: any university with a proxy in
front may appear as a single IP adresse. This argument cannot really be
used.

3 - If bad pages persist and if this a Chester problem, it seems to me
that the problem would be solved when corrected in Chester. I do not see
why mirrors increase this difficulty. By essence if the mirrors use a
proper software they are directed by the source web. Am I wrong?

4 - Quality of service.

We must be careful about this: I do not care for Europe where people can
link with a correct speed from the various countries, but is this true
everywhere? In Asia? In Africa or South America? Is not a local mirror
faster or easier accessed? More: when a mirror does not answer people
may try another source of information.

Last question: will the actual performances of the UK server remain the
same if all requests arrive to it?

Point 1 seems to me the only solid argument. About point 3 I am not sure
to understand where is the difficulty.

Conclusion: a rather mix feeling.

Wiht best regards.

Yves

--
   Prof. Yves Epelboin, LMCP, Université P.M. Curie,
   case 115, 75252 Paris Cedex 05, France