[Fwd: Back Issues of Science to be Freely Available]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <epc-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Back Issues of Science to be Freely Available]
  • From: Howard Flack <Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:04:53 +0100 (BST)

--Boundary_(ID_Dcq3RZsQGJuU7WHDcWpgIw)

--
Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone: 41 (22) 702 62 49
24 quai Ernest-Ansermet             mailto:Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch
CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland                   Fax: 41 (22) 702 61 08

--Boundary_(ID_Dcq3RZsQGJuU7WHDcWpgIw)

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:06:41 +0200
From: Barry Mahon <mahons1@EIRCOM.NET>
Subject: Re: Back Issues of Science to be Freely Available
Sender: ICSTI-L list <ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL>
Approved-by: crandall@DTIC.MIL
To: ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL

Kent Smith wrote:

> This is simply Kennedy's way of avoiding putting Science up on PubMed Central which many in the community are encouraging--Our view is there > are many repositories and NLM's PMC is just one of them, not the only one. This debate has been in Science over the past few issues--Kent

Thanks Kent for that input, am I right in thinking it ties in also with
the item I mentioned in a "News" a few weeks ago, from the UK New
Scientist magazine. Seems like there is a "tug of war" going on between
the publishers (including the AAAS in this guise) the scientists and the
open source depositories. It seems to me to be a typical "on the one
hand, on the other hand" type of argument.

I wonder is it a suitable topic for our discussion area on the ICSTI web
site?? I was thinking of asking Bernard to give us a training course in
Munich on how it works.

Bye, Barry

P.S. see also the site I mention in the upcoming "News" a debate by
Nature on the future of STM publishing.

--Boundary_(ID_Dcq3RZsQGJuU7WHDcWpgIw)--