Re: OAI Workshop

>In particular
>the refereeing stage is seen as an activity independent of publishing
>which thus becomes 'certification and authentification'. None of the
>'new' publishers want to accomplish this part of the task themselves,
>they all want to benefit from its activity but they have no business
>model for its execution. If this is a viable activity for the IUCr one
>might have authors paying for certification!!!! with the article being
>indexed but not distributed through the IUCr's journals.

What would be the point of this?  If the time has taken for certifying
the document - then surely it can be published by the certifying
authority as well?

Also:
Whey would an author pay for certification alone - when they could
submit at no cost for certification and publication?  (We are most
likely talking academics here - who would probably not want to
shell out money for a good reason - let alone a bad one)

Its "public or perish" - not "certify or perish"?

Lachlan.

-----------------------
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
  Birkbeck University of London and Daresbury Synchrotron Laboratory
Postal Address: CCP14 - School of Crystallography,
                Birkbeck College,
                Malet Street, Bloomsbury,
                WC1E 7HX, London,  UK
Tel: (+44) 020 7631 6850   Fax: (+44) 020 7631 6803
E-mail: l.m.d.cranswick@dl.ac.uk   Room: B091
WWW: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/