[Fwd: Re: EU directive on access to public data]

  • To: epc@iucr.org
  • Subject: [Fwd: Re: EU directive on access to public data]
  • From: Howard Flack <crystal@flack.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:26:56 +0100

20/01/2004 10:21:51, Howard Flack <Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch> wrote:

>Barry:
>
>    Could you give me a few links to EU directive on access to public
>data and its current state.

Well, I discovered it has been signed into law.... on 17th November last, slipped under
my radar so to speak.

The whole nine yards of its progress is at:

http://www.europa.eu.int/prelex/detail_dossier_real.cfm?CL=en&DosId=174639

and the full text of the final Directive as published in the Official Journal of the EU is at:

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2003/l_345/l_34520031231en00900096.pdf

as a pdf file.

One extract illustrates how the original was 'diluted':

"General principle

Member States shall ensure that, where the re-use of documents
held by public sector bodies is allowed, these documents shall
be re-usable for commercial or non-commercial purposes in
accordance with the conditions set out in Chapters III and IV.
Where possible, documents shall be made available through
electronic means"

and....

"This Directive shall not apply to.......[amongst others...]

..documents held by educational and research establishments,
such as schools, universities, archives, libraries and research
facilities including, where relevant, organisations established
for the transfer of research results;"

So, it looks like the Directive is more like a pious political hope for transparency than
anything real and anyway it does not seem to apply to R&D.

Bye, Barry

P.S. I have copied this to the listserv for information