ICSTI: Public Access to Science Act (Sabo Bill, H.R. 2613)

  • To: epc@iucr.org
  • Subject: ICSTI: Public Access to Science Act (Sabo Bill, H.R. 2613)
  • From: Pete Strickland <ps@iucr.org>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:56:50 +0100

Subject: Fwd: Re: Public Access to Science Act (Sabo Bill, H.R. 2613)
Date: Thursday 29 July 2004 1:31 pm
From: Barry Mahon <barry.mahon@IOL.IE>
To: ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL

Part of a message on the American Scientist OA list...... of interest to quite
a lot of our Members I would think.

It is an interesting take, in my opinion secondary services will become
critical if OA were to become 'the norm' otherwise how would one find the
articles.....Of course there is a problem for the secondary services too, how
would they identify the materials which were not 'published' in the
conventional (today's) sense??

Bye, Barry

> From: sathya AT informindia.co.in
> To: lis-forum@ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
> Subject: Re: The Sabo Bill and Open Access
>
> Question-1
>
> Do Chemists world over subscribe to [the] view that Databases like Chemical
> Abstracts will become superfluous as OAI initiative matures covering a large
> part of journal content?

It is not only premature to speculate about what may or not become of
secondary publisher indexes and databases once OA prevails, but to
speculate about it now only provokes needless (and groundless) resistance
to OA's prevailing.

Here are the facts: Self-archiving can bring 100% OA overnight. That
night is long overdue. Let us focus *all* of our efforts on making that
night arrive at last, and not waste more time speculating about the
many things -- and their opposite -- that might or might not eventually
follow 100% OA.

Best wishes

Peter Strickland
Managing Editor