DOI

I read following in DOI News - December 2007.

I think it essential that at least 2 of us read the draft ISO standard
to see if it fits in with the IUCr needs and projects.

I would also be most interested in knowing if bodies like ICSTI and
CODATA have organized their own discussions on this matter.

   A bit early I know but Happy Christmas to you all,

H.

1. ISO standard on the DOI System

The DOI System is currently being standardised through the International
Standards Organisation, ISO, and a working group (ISO TC46/SC9/WG7) has
been active on this since September 2006.  Recently the ISO Working
Group approved a final draft as a Committee Draft (standard for voting)
to be processed by ISO through the formal ISO voting process.  It is
expected that the process will be finalised during 2008.

A significant  part of this activity was clarification of the status of
other identifier systems and how these can work with the DOI System; the
draft standard includes recommendations on how this can be achieved
through agreeing incorporation of other schemes into the syntax or
metadata of the DOI System, and the International DOI Foundation (IDF)
has already concluded  agreement regarding appropriate incorporation of
some important ISO identifiers (ISBN, ISSN, ISRC) into the DOI System. A
pilot application involving use of ISBNs within DOI names is underway.

Paul Jessop, Chief Technology Officer at the Recording Industry
Association of America (RIAA) and a participant in the working group
since its inception, commented: "I believe it is critical that anyone
wanting to use an identification system that takes a rigorous approach
to its metadata should be able to find one in the international
standards portfolio. The DOI System builds on the same solid foundation
that we helped to create in the indecs project and which we use
extensively."

Norman Paskin, Convenor of the Working Group, noted: "the agreement on a
final standard draft, responding to comments from a wide variety of
national standards bodies, means that the final draft is a substantial
improvement on the original proposal submitted in Sept 2006, thanks to
the active involvement of the 30+ participants in the working group who
have provided critical improvements".

Brian Green, Chair of ISO TC46 SC9, commented: "the process of agreeing
a final draft has been a significant one for SC9, which is now dealing
with a wide variety of application areas and where the need for common
approaches is becoming increasingly apparent".  In a related activity,
the ISO TC46SC9 Identifier Interoperability Group has agreed to progress
the development of a standard vocabulary of relationships between
identified entities, foreseen in its earlier discussions, and the IDF
welcomes this and intends to offer assistance in realising it.

For further information:

  -o- DOI System: Standards and Specifications: ISO TC46 Standards
(http://www.doi.org/about_the_doi.html#standards)
  -o- Identifier Interoperability: A Report on Two Recent ISO Activities
(http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april06/paskin/04paskin.html)
  -o- Overview article on the DOI System for the forthcoming third
edition of the Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, based
on the ISO draft standard: (http://www.doi.org/overview/070710-Overview.pdf)