Simple images

Dear All,

I agree, in general, with Andy's answers to his own questions in his message
of 23/11/95. A binary file with ascii header information would seem to
be appropriate.

One question asked is 'What is simple?'. Here is my answer for PX rotation
or Laue images:

An cartesian image format with:

1) ASCII header information   No. of pixels along fast axis.

                              No. of pixels along slow axis.

                              Raster dimensions.

                              Axis order with respect to some standard set of
                              laboratory axes.

                              The storage format of the binary image data.

2) The image binary data stored as two byte or four byte integer values.

3) One image/file.

Other thoughts in brief.

1) We seem to have managed reasonably well for quite a long time without
   a standard format which suggests to me that the basic requirements
   may really be quite simple.

2) A lot of other header information is possible but how will it be gathered
   to put into the file as it may well not be available to the system
   writing the image files.

3) Some form of 'squashed' two byte integer data would problably be very
   useful (e.g. as used in the MOSFLM package).

4) Perhaps overload/bad pixels need to be identified in some specific way.

5) As the complexity of any format definition increases, e.g. data
   compression, many different storage formats etc., it will be
   increasingly important to provide the software to read such images
   and not just make a format specification.

John Campbell