Re: imgCIF / CBF web pages

David Brown writes:

> 	Your proposed changes to the home page look fine.  All the
> appropriate information seems to be referenced and due credit given.  The
> only addition I might recommend is a statement that the cif standard is
> copyright by the IUCr.  Such a comment would be appropriate on any cif
> home page.

One of the concerns raised at both the recent CIF workshops has been the
policy of the IUCr in respect of its intellectual property rights on CIF and
STAR. An appropriate URL to supply for the official line on these issues is

  'See the IUCr <a href="http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/ipr.html">
   official statement of policy</a> on the use of CIF/STAR.'

A further general remark on IUCr URLs may be useful here. We are gradually
moving away from quoting the IUCr home web address in the form
"www.iucr.ac.uk" to something looking more like
"http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/". The reason for the change of domain name
is that we have registered the second-level domain "iucr.org" and propose
to introduce parallel addresses for the growing family of mirror web servers.
The "iucr-top" component is introduced as part of the stratification of the
IUCr information services into major components ("cww-top" and
"sincris-top" are the other current components). This is part of a drive to
have widely mirrored and well structured web information on all aspects of
crystallography accessible through the IUCr servers. I would appreciate it
if future references to IUCr web resources used the new form.

However, so far as is in our power, already published URLs of the form
"http://www.iucr.ac.uk/" ... will continue to be valid and accessible.

I am happy with the contents of the proposed revision to Andy's imgCIF/CBF
pages, and, incidentally, with their style. Very nice indeed!

Regards