Re: [Imgcif-l] CBF - Adding binary proprietary format header dump

Not my place to get into the discussion as to whether or not
Justin's proposal is desirable, but just to draw attention to
a couple of technical points about it:

> We here would, in fact, like to add our binary header to the CBF file.
> Should that just go into an additional binary section, with MIME header
> and all of that?  If so, is there any recommendation as to how we can
> refer to it in the CIF headers so that I can distinguish between the
> binary image data and our binary header data?  My inclination is to add
> the ".header_convention" column to my "_array_data" loop and fill it in

Is _array_data.header_convention an agreed term in the current draft
dictionary? If not, one should either request (via the imgcif-l list)
that it be added, following due community discussion, or register a
namespace prefix for your local use at
    http://www.iucr.org/cgi-bin/cifreserve.pl?add

If you registered "rayonix", say, you would then be at liberty to insert
   _array_data.rayonix_header_convention

> with "RAY_1.0" or something like that for the our binary header and with
>   an empty value "" for the image data.

Since CIF is free-format, you can't have an unquoted blank as a null field.
Instead use a single period character:

loop_
_array_data.array_id
_array_data.binary_id
_array_data.header_convention
_array_data.data
  ARRAY1 1 RAY_1.0
;
--CIF-BINARY-FORMAT-SECTION--
<<MIME header for Rayonix binary header dump>>
<<Rayonix binary header dump>>
--CIF-BINARY-FORMAT-SECTION----
;
  ARRAY2 2  .                     #<<<<<<< Note the placeholder period
;
--CIF-BINARY-FORMAT-SECTION--
<<MIME header for image binary data>>
<<Image binary data>>