Re: polarization

The item

> _diffrn_radiation.polarisation_collimation - this takes an argument
> (modifier?), examples of which are;
>
> 	pinhole or mirrors with unpolarised beam
> 	graphite monochromator
> 	synchrotron

is not currently defined in the CIF dictionaries.  Perhaps it should be.

This discussion shows that we need to rethink the way we define
polarisation (or polarization).  I would welcome proposals for definitions
for a set of polarization items that would be applicable to all types of
instrument.  This would then be incoporated in the CORE dictionary to
replace the existing two items.

		David Brown
		Chair of Comcifs and the CORE Dictionary Maintenance Group

Dr.I.David Brown,  Professor Emeritus
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Tel: 1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710
Fax: 1-(905)-521-2773
idbrown@mcmaster.ca