Re: imgCIF / CBF web pages

I would hope and expect that by the time a DDL2-based imageCIF dictionary
coordinated with the mmCIF dictionary were completed, that all the tools
and techniques needed to _automatically_ integrate DDL1-based and
DDL2-based dictionaries would be in place.  There is actually very little
conflict between dictionaries in the two styles (e.g. CIFtbx2 already has
hooks to handle mixed collections of such dictionaries internally).  The
issues of integration between the powder dictionary and imageCIF are very
similar to the issues of integration between the powder dictionary and
mmCIF, so I would suggest that this common problem be handled by common
approaches, rather than the imageCIF effort concerning itself separately
with the DDL1 vs DDL2 issues.  For the moment, a purely DDL2-based effort
well-integrated with mmCIF would seem a very coherent, constructive and
productive approach.

   -- Herbert

>                Is CBF an extension of CIF or mmCIF?
>
>        I have not checked what Andy has put on his web page, but, in
>response to John Westbrook's message, it is important to point out that
>CBF is, an fact, a CIF dictionary developed using DDL2 and not just an
>extension of mmCIF.  It is a separate dictionary to be used in conjunction
>with any other CIF dictionary.  The reason that the Brookhaven workshop
>agreed to develop CBF using DDL2 rather than DDL1 was that the DDL2 to
>DDL1 conversion was easier than the other way around.  Comcifs expects the
>CBF working group to prepare a DDL1 as well as a DDL2 version so that CBF
>can be used in conjunction with any CIF dictionary.  CBF must be
>applicable in any situation where area detectors are used, not just in
>those situations involving macromolecules.
>
>        It is true that since it was decided that the initial development
>would be under DDL2, CBF will be developed in close collaboration with
>mmCIF, but CBF must not be seen as just an extension of mmCIF.  It is a
>separate CIF dictionary of equal standing with the coreCIF, mmCIF and
>pdCIF dictionaries.  Each of these is maintained separately, but
>together they constitute a coordinated suite of dictionaries.
>
>                        David Brown
>
>                                Chair of Comicfs

>Dr.I.David Brown
>Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
>McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
>Tel: 1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710
>Fax: 1-(905)-521-2773

****                BERNSTEIN + SONS
*   *       INFORMATION SYSTEMS CONSULTANTS
****     P.O. BOX 177, BELLPORT, NY 11713-0177
*   * ***
**** *            Herbert J. Bernstein
  *   ***     yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com
 ***     *
  *   *** 1-516-286-1339    FAX: 1-516-286-1999