[SA_scat] Up to 7 Instrument Scientist positions available at ANSTO- closing date 11 December 2013

  • To: <sa_scat@iucr.org>
  • Subject: [SA_scat] Up to 7 Instrument Scientist positions available at ANSTO- closing date 11 December 2013
  • From: <stephen.king@stfc.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:49:20 +0000

See http://anstocareers.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.checkJobDetailsNewApplication&returnToEvent=jobs.listJobs&jobid=859fbb0e-9008-480b-9fdd-a254010a3d11&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=0ac44449%2Dcfc1%2D4622%2D9710%2D9db401354878&JobListID=22fc4f47%2De994%2D46a3%2Db8c9%2D9bc901269f43&jobsListKey=58f3a8ca%2Dd958%2D45fd%2D9850%2D5ea9f319270e&persistVariables=CurATC,CurBID,JobListID,jobsListKey,JobID&lid=86480750012

Neutron Instrument Scientists
·         Term Position - Full Time : AU$89k - AU$116k +15.4% super
·         Small-angle neutron scattering, back-scattering neutron spectrometry, or neutron imaging

About ANSTO
The Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation (ANSTO) is home to Australia's nuclear science and technical expertise. More than 1000 scientists, engineers and experts work at ANSTO and use nuclear science and technology to answer the big questions in the world around us - improving health outcomes, increasing our understanding of the environment and climate change and identifying new opportunities for Australian industry.
We operate much of our country's landmark science facilities including one of the world's most modern nuclear research reactors (OPAL). Importantly, ANSTO is helping to improve our health with one in two Australians benefitting from the nuclear medicines produced using the OPAL research reactor while being treated for serious illnesses such as heart disease and cancer.

About the position
ANSTO is one of Australia's foremost scientific research and development organisations, focused on delivering the benefits of nuclear science to the Australian community. Based in Sydney, we operate the 20 MW OPAL Reactor which provides neutrons to a suite of 13 instruments, and have built up our team of scientists at the Bragg Institute to the point that we are the leading group of neutron scatterer's in the Southern Hemisphere.

The Bragg Institute has the opportunity for suitably qualified scientists to step up into a position of Instrument Scientist on one of three newly constructed neutron-scattering instruments, BILBY, DINGO, and EMU.  We are particularly interested in applicants with experience in small-angle scattering (neutron or X-ray), back-scattering neutron scattering, or radiography and tomography (neutron or X-ray).

BILBY is our time-of-flight small-angle neutron-scattering instrument, which is particularly suited to kinetic experiments on nanoscale structures such as polymers, biological molecules, defect structures in metals, ceramics, and geological specimens, as well as magnetic clusters and flux-line lattices.

DINGO is Australia's first neutron imaging station and enables neutron radiography and tomography in an analogous manner to X-ray radiography and tomography.  The main differences are the different contrast between elements and the greater penetration with neutrons. Neutron radiography is particularly suited to location and mapping of hydrogenous materials inside metallic or ceramic objects, including the flow of fuels and lubricants in engines, and non-destructive imaging of rare fossils and valuable ancient artefacts.

EMU is a high-resolution back-scattering spectrometer with energy resolution between 1 and 30 micro-eV especially suited to studies of water diffusion, dynamics of proteins, and quantum tunnelling of small molecular groups.

For further details about all three instruments, see http://www.ansto.gov.au/ResearchHub/Bragg/Facilities/Instruments/index.htm

The Instrument Scientists are responsible for the development and running of neutron scattering instruments, developing the user community, and leading research.

Duties and responsibilities
·         Providing scientific and technical support and advice to neutron users
·         Develop relationships with user communities and ensure positive user experiences.
·         Conducting leading edge research
·         Requirements:
- PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Materials Science, Engineering, or a related discipline (essential)
- Post-doctoral experience in a relevant discipline (desirable)
- Experience of neutron scattering or synchrotron radiation, including data analysis thereof (essential)
- A track record of publication and an ability to contribute to research profiles
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills

Why join ANSTO?
ANSTO employees are passionate about what they do. We enjoy being part of an organisation making a difference in the lives of Australians.

We support and reward our employees through eligibility for:
·         Training, development and mentoring opportunities
·         Performance based salary increases
·         Work-life balance with generous leave entitlements and flexible conditions

Located in the Sutherland Shire, we have free onsite parking, a swimming pool, lunchtime sporting competitions and a delicious onsite café with relaxing break-out areas.

If you want to join a world class organisation that's making a difference in the lives of Australians, apply now!

For further information please view the Position Information Package or contact Jessica Haines (02) 9717 3359 or Regan Beckinsale on (02) 9717 3575. To be eligible for appointment, applicants will require a security and medical assessment, Australian citizenship is preferred. Applications must be submitted online.

Applications close: 11 December 2013
Please follow the link to the position information package<http://anstocareers.nga.net.au/publicfiles/anstocareers/jobs/859fbb0e-9008-480b-9fdd-a254010a3d11/NSF_NB12%20Instrument%20Scientist_Position%20Information%20package.pdf>
How to apply:
·         If you have NOT registered with our Online Application System, you can begin your Application by clicking the 'Begin' button.
·         If you are unsure if you have registered before, click here<http://anstocareers.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=reg.login&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=0ac44449-cfc1-4622-9710-9db401354878> and follow the steps.
·         FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN DETAILS? click here<http://anstocareers.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=reg.forgottenPassword&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=0ac44449-cfc1-4622-9710-9db401354878> and follow the steps.
·         If you want to preview the Application form prior to logging in,click here<http://anstocareers.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.previewApplication&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=0ac44449%2Dcfc1%2D4622%2D9710%2D9db401354878&JobListID=22fc4f47%2De994%2D46a3%2Db8c9%2D9bc901269f43&jobsListKey=58f3a8ca%2Dd958%2D45fd%2D9850%2D5ea9f319270e&JobID=859fbb0e%2D9008%2D480b%2D9fdd%2Da254010a3d11&returnToEvent=jobs%2ElistJobs&persistVariables=CurATC,CurBID,JobListID,jobsListKey,JobID,returnToEvent&lid=18435830001>
IMPORTANT: This site is optimised for - Internet Explorer 7.0 (or later browser versions), Safari, Firefox 3 (or later browser versions) and Chrome. Note that earlier versions of any of the browsers mentioned are supported, but likely to demonstrate slower response times.

Robert A. Robinson
Head of the Bragg Institute, B87
Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
Locked Bag 2001
Kirrawee DC
NSW 2232
Australia