CIF 2.0 and Jmol

  • Subject: CIF 2.0 and Jmol
  • From: Robert Hanson <hansonr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2016 23:39:32 -0600
I have just checked in a full implementation of CIF 2.0 in Jmol. Many thanks to John Bollinger for the great test suite. I am impressed by the foresight of the authors. The coding was quite simple, and it was a fun challenge to meet the specs.

Jmol.___JmolVersion="14.7.4_2016.12.01"

new feature: fully implemented CIF 2.0 reader

new feature: x = getProperty("cifInfo", "c:/temp/test.cif")
 -- reads CIF file data in structured format
 -- automatically uses CIF 1.0 or CIF 2.0, as needed.

In the end, what we have is a package that can convert CIF 2.0 records to JSON format if desired.

Java code (for Jmol and for transpiling to JavaScript for JSmol) for the CIF 2.0 parser is at

https://sourceforge.net/p/jmol/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/Jmol/src/org/jmol/adapter/readers/cif/Cif2DataParser.java

which subclasses the CIF 1 parser at

Bob Hanson