[dddwg] Progress report on activities of the Diffraction DataDeposition Working Group

  • To: dddwg@iucr.org
  • Subject: [dddwg] Progress report on activities of the Diffraction DataDeposition Working Group
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:25:32 +0000
Dear Colleagues

For your information and interest, a few recent developments are listed
below:

1. An extensive discussion about the archiving of diffraction images for
macromolecular crystallography took place recently on the CCP4
email list (ccp4bb), providing a useful survey of existing viewpoints
within that field. The most relevant threads can be seen in the
October and November public archives of ccp4bb at
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ccp4bb.html, especially those with
subject lines:

   * Archiving for fraud detection
   * Archiving Images for PDB Depositions
   * image compression
   * IUCr committees, depositing images
   * raw data deposition
   * To archive or not to archive, that's the question!

We have asked Tom Terwiliger to write up a summary of these discussions
and a synopsis/overview, for posting on the DDD WG forum and to the
Commission on Biological Macromolecules.

2. It is already clear that moving raw data around over the Internet
will constitute a major hurdle in the way of routine deposition to
journals. We have therefore moved towards considering in detail the
use in some cases of Institutional Repositories in providing for
distributed (i.e. local permanent) storage. We have scheduled an
information-finding meeting with local repository managers of the
University of Manchester on 25 November.

3. Although IUCr Chester has not yet had time to perform a detailed
analysis of the draft business case, we have posted the draft and some
preliminary responses on the "Consultation" forum
http://forums.iucr.org/viewforum.php?f=16 for your information and to
invite your own early comments. Please do not disseminate this
document more widely: it is still at a very early and tentative stage.

4. Alun Ashton at Diamond is trialling the getting of DOIs for
about 100 raw data sets measured at Diamond Light Source.

5. It would be helpful to contact other SR sources besides Diamond,
ESRF and other European centres, as well as European neutron sources
(ISIS, ILL etc.) to assess their current level of committment. We
would appreciate any specific information you may already hold about
these Facilities; but we would also like to invite the representatives
of the IUCr's Synchrotron Radiation and Neutron Scattering Commissions
to do this.

6. A Public Discussion component of our Forum has been launched
(http://forums.iucr.org/viewforum.php?f=21) and has already proved
popular in the sense that there have been many accesses from the wider
community of the documents produced thus far by the DDD WG (notably
stimulated by the extensive ccp4bb discussions).

7. We shall soon begin to draw up a programme for the Bergen workshop.
Please let us know if you would like to make a presentation at that
workshop on some specific topic.

Best wishes
John and Brian

J. R. Helliwell and B. McMahon