From: Saulius Gra┼żulis <grazulis@ibt.lt>
To: Simon Westrip <simonwestrip@btinternet.com>; Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Monday, 19 February 2018, 11:26
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Removing Octal, Hexadecimal and Binary as DDLm types

On 2018-02-19 13:13, Simon Westrip wrote:

> Hi James - I'd be inclined just to drop the types in DDLm.
> Extending the semantics used for presenting numbers
> seems like placing an unnecessary burden on CIF application developers
> (obliged to look out for octal, hexadecimal, binary ...)

May I chime in as an implementer:

actually, burden is not so large; if standard (libc-compatible)
representations are used, all these cases are handled by standard
libraries, no extra coding is necessary.

Regards,
Saulius

--
Dr. Saulius Gra┼żulis
Vilnius University Institute of Biotechnology, Saul─Śtekio al. 7