[Fwd: FW: Supreme Court Rules on Tasini vs. New York Times]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <epc-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: [Fwd: FW: Supreme Court Rules on Tasini vs. New York Times]
  • From: Howard Flack <Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:39:00 +0100 (BST)

--Boundary_(ID_fDi7hnt++SgM0qnce7FfHQ)

--
Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html
Laboratoire de Cristallographie               Phone: +41 22 702 62 49
24 quai Ernest-Ansermet             mailto:Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch
CH-1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland                   Fax: +41 22 702 61 08

--Boundary_(ID_fDi7hnt++SgM0qnce7FfHQ)

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 20:53:37 +0000
From: Eamon Fennessy <efennessy@ATT.NET>
Sender: ICSTI-L list <ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL>
Approved-by: crandall@DTIC.MIL
To: ICSTI-L@DTIC.MIL

The Supreme Court decision simply confirms what the law
has said for the past several decades.
    1. Anyone who is using someone else's intellectual
property online or wherever had best get permission.
    2. Publishers like the NY Times will start removing
old articles from online databases for which no
permission has been obtained.
    3. Some publishers have been obtaining permissions
since the mid 1990's as this case which I believe
started in 1993 was wending its way through the courts.
    4. The decision confirms you cannot take anything
for granted and for those clearing houses which offer
licenses to users for works which are to be put online
had best be sure they (the clearinghouses) have the
rights to offer online use to their clients. They (the
clearinghouses) cannot assume publishers have the rights
which they are conferring on those clearinghouses.

Eamon T. Fennessy
The Copyright Group
P.O. Box 5496
Beverly Farms, MA 01915