[Fwd: Feedback: David`s draft on Preservation Statement]

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <epc-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Feedback: David`s draft on Preservation Statement]
  • From: Howard Flack <Howard.Flack@cryst.unige.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:14:41 +0100 (BST)
Il s'agit d'un message multivolet au format MIME.

--Boundary_(ID_fgM1+hc0Px+CEWDpMK1vdQ)

--

Howard Flack        http://www.unige.ch/crystal/ahdf/Howard.Flack.html

--Boundary_(ID_fgM1+hc0Px+CEWDpMK1vdQ)

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:25:20 -0400
From: Marie Wallin <mw@lib.kth.se>
To: HyperNews@narwhal.cisti.nrc.ca
Newsgroups: http://narwhal.cisti.nrc.ca/HyperNews/get/discussions.html

Visit this HyperNews at narwhal.cisti.nrc.ca message (to reply or unsubscr*be) at:
http://narwhal.cisti.nrc.ca/HyperNews/get/discussions/6/2.html

I hope it is right to put a message commenting David`s draft here in the
general discussion area or will there be a special one monitored more
specially by David? Thank you David for a very dense and exact text. I
suggest more editing with marked headings that would help its
readibility. For example in the section on "What are the problems" four
subheadings Formal, refereed literature. Grey literature. Personal
Archives.Data,could help make it clear that this concerns more than just
the e-journal publishers. I think the different scientific communities
are aware of their own data preservation problems and I fear that the
paragraph on the need for preservation of atmospheric data can appear a
little impertinent. It seems to me that we here rather should stress the
need for the different scientific communities to inform on what they are
doing to collaborate in the frame of a networked structure

Perhaps we should also in the very last paragraph addressing the
individual scientists name teaching on the side of engaging in research
as the digital preservation issue should concern the future scientists
already from the very start of their careers.

People who do not know ICSTI will read this in the light of the
description of our organisation that will be given (I guess) at the end
of the statement. That will lead no doubt to the ICSTI web site and
there we should make sure to have a well edited page on this issue
informing on what we (or others) do in this field. We should also open a
public discussion forum on that page for comments, so that also
individual readers of the statement can in some wayact on the
encouragement given in the statement. Looking forward to read more
comments on the statement and how we will distribute it./Marie