Re: The quest for tentative approval.

>From discussions with I. David Brown at the ACA meeting and between David
and Bob Sweet, it appears that it is long past time for our formal
submission of the draft CBF/imgCIF dictionary to COMCIFS for tentative
approval.  There was some discussion on this list after Bob Sweet said:

" ...unless there are strenuous objections from the readers of this
bulletin board, in the next few days we will submit what we have done to
COMCIFS for 'tentative
approval'."

There was some discussion, but there seeming to be no strenuous objection,
with this message, we are hereby formally submitting the materials at:

  http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/software/CBF/

for consideration by COMCIFS, and in particular are submitting the draft
CBF extensions dictionary version 0.6.2 at:

  http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/software/CBF/doc/cbfext98.html

for consideration, along with the explanatory materials at

  http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/software/CBF/doc/cbf_definition_rev.html

We hope to receive comments, corrections and suggestions for changes.  They
are most welcome.  Please direct copies of such messages to this list
(imgcif-l@bnl.gov), so
that everyone may participate in improving the draft.  In responding to
such comments, we will make great efforts to maintain upwards
compatability.  All comments and suggestions, even those which might imply
drastic changes, will be given careful consideration, but except for
correcting minor typos and improving comments, we will try not to withdraw
tokens or create conflicts with the meanings of the currently proposed
tokens.  New, non-conflicting tokens will be proposed when major changes
are needed.

We also hope to make changes to the current API, but again, we will make
great efforts to maintain upwards compatibility.

  -- H. J. Bernstein

****                BERNSTEIN + SONS
*   *       INFORMATION SYSTEMS CONSULTANTS
****     P.O. BOX 177, BELLPORT, NY 11713-0177
*   * ***
**** *            Herbert J. Bernstein
  *   ***     yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com
 ***     *
  *   *** 1-631-286-1339    FAX: 1-631-286-1999