Re: The quest for tentative approval.

Exerpts from I. David Brown's response to our submission are attached:

>Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:02:34 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "I. David Brown" <idbrown@mcmail.cis.McMaster.CA>
> [...]
>
>Dear Herb,
>
>	Thanks for your message which I take as a formal submission of the
>CBF/imgCIF dictionary to Comcifs.  I will act upon your reqest for
>approval.
>
>	The dictionary will be passed first to the Dictionary Subcommittee
>of Comcifs (McMahon, Brown and Westbrook) for a detailed examination
>during which time suggestions may be made for changes.  In accordance with
>your remarks any changes suggested by this committee will be designed to
>cause the minimum disruption to software under development.  During this
>review, any last minute changes suggested by the imgCIF discussion group
>can also be made.
>
>	When the Dictionary Subcommittee is satisfied with the dictionary,
>they will recommend to Comcifs that the dictionary be formally accepted as
>a tentative standard.  Final approval will follow a year or two later
>after the community has had chance to gain some experience and any rough
>edges are removed.
>
> [...] the Dictionary Subcommittee already has three other dictionaries
>under >review so there may be some delay in getting to yours.  However,
>this should
>not prevent you from acting on the assumption that approval will be given.
>Given the qualifications of members of the imgCIF group I do not have any
>concerns about the overall structure of the dictionary.  Software
>development should continue since problems are more likely to be revealed
>as the dictionary is brought into active use.
>
>	Thanks for making this submission, and good luck with the software
>development.
>
>			Best wishes
>
>				David
> [...]

****                BERNSTEIN + SONS
*   *       INFORMATION SYSTEMS CONSULTANTS
****     P.O. BOX 177, BELLPORT, NY 11713-0177
*   * ***
**** *            Herbert J. Bernstein
  *   ***     yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com
 ***     *
  *   *** 1-631-286-1339    FAX: 1-631-286-1999