Re: More thoughts on polarization, divergence, time-stamps in CBF

  I for one wish to continue the polarisation issue discussion.  The
resulting tokens will be of value both for the core and for mmCIF, making
them a very natural fit to the imgCIF discussion group, which deals with
tokens that will be needed for synchrotron-based experiments.  I do not
believe that the polarisation discussion needs to hold up the review of
the rest of the CBF/imgCIF dictionary.  If/when we have a sound
polarisation category, it can be folded in to the appropriate dictionaries
once the necessary approvals have been achieved.

  Besides, the entire point of a review is to find out what we need to add
to the dictionary to maximize its utility.

  Now to substance.  On first rereading of Harry's remarks and David's,
the major issue seems to be reference axis systems.  The new AXIS category
in the CBF/imgCIF dictionary is, as David notes, grounded in a
source-goniometer-axis axis system, but exists precisely to allow for the
definition of other useful axis systems.  Note that axis definitions
may be nested, creating complex dependencies which reflect the ways in
which hardware is built.  This creates a burden for the experiment
designer to relate, say, raster axes, to the source axis and
the pricipal goniometer axis, but it is hard to imagine a beam-line for
which that information is neither available nor derivable.  If we missed
something in the AXIS category necessary to support realistic measurements
of polarisation, let's augment the AXIS category.  I think we should
even be able to support definitions of polarisation which reference
"horizontal" and "vertical" axis, or even such concepts as beam-tangent
axes and synchrotron beam normal axes.

  My apologies for my persistent use of "polarisation", rather than
"polarization".  Would some native English-English speaker care to add
some colour to the discussion and analyse the roots of the word.

  Regards,
    Herbert

****                BERNSTEIN + SONS
*   *       INFORMATION SYSTEMS CONSULTANTS
****     P.O. BOX 177, BELLPORT, NY 11713-0177
*   * ***
**** *            Herbert J. Bernstein
  *   ***     yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com
 ***     *
  *   *** 1-631-286-1339    FAX: 1-631-286-1999