Re: [Imgcif-l] ... also

Dear David,

   One of the nice advantages of moving to DDLm is that we will be
able to manage overlapping, related concepts in a dictionary, just
as we cope with allowing direct cell edge vectors, reciprocal cell
edge vectors and cell volumes, and allowing B's and U's.

   Different beam lines and even the same beam line used for different
experiments have different concerns about beam size, shape and profiles.
The dictionary should have a sufficiently rich vocabulary to allow
people to store everything they actually measure and should not force
them to store derived quantities instead if that is avoidable.

   Regards,
     Herbert

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010, David Brown wrote:

> I would only add to Jemes' final comment that we want to avoid unnecessary
> duplication of items caused by having different definitions for essentially
> the same concept in different dictionaries.  Eventually all the defintions
> from DDL1 and DDL2 will be rolled into a DDLm dictionary, so the more
> uniformity we have in definitions across the different flavours of CIF the
> better.  It is the definitions that are important; different data names for
> the same defnition can be aliased.
>
> I am working on a CIF dictionary for small angle scattering and similar beam
> descriptions are being defined there.  I am monitoring the current
> discussion.
>
> David Brown
>
> James Hester wrote:
>
>> I agree with Herbert's suggestion, although I would name the tags
>>
>> _diffrn_radiation.beam_size_x
>> _diffrn_radiation.beam_size_y
>>
>> simply because that makes more immediate sense to me. 'Spread' reminds me
>> of
>> 'wavelength spread', 'angular spread', 'vegemite' etc. But that might just
>> be me.
>>
>> I would advocate against the use of a slit width unless enough information
>> is provided to interpret its meaning i.e. location of the slit relative to
>> source/monochromator/sample/other slits.
>>
>> NB The powder CIF dictionary defines beam size tags for the size of the
>> beam
>> at the sample (DDL1, however).
>>
>> James.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Herbert J. Bernstein <
>> yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Another nice question.  We have the angular crossfire in
>>>
>>> _diffrn_radiation.div_x_source
>>> _diffrn_radiation.div_y_source
>>> _diffrn_radiation.div_x_y_source
>>>
>>> Should this new tag be viewed as a characteristic of the beam,
>>> say
>>>
>>> _diffrn_radiation.spread_x_source
>>> _diffrn_radiation.spread_y_source