[SA_scat] PhD Position in Scattering from Skin Lipid Membranes atLeiden, NL

In the Division of Drug Delivery Technology of the Leiden/Amsterdam Center for Drug Research (LACDR) of the Leiden University one of the central themes is to understand the skin barrier function in healthy and diseased skin. The skin is designed to keep most substances outside the body. To study the skin barrier function we have several models available. Among these models are lipid membranes. One of the models we will use are skin lipid membranes.

PhD Student (38 hours a week) will focus on the role the lipids play in the barrier properties of the skin.

Vacancy number: 9-163

Project description

The aim of the PhD project is to elucidate the lipid organization in the skin on a molecular level and to relate this lipid organization to permeability properties and thus the skin barrier function. The outermost layer of the skin, the horny layer, consists of cells embedded in lipid lamellar regions. These lipid regions form the main barrier for diffusion of substances across the skin. The lipid composition and organization of this layer is very exceptional. In this project various lipid model systems will be used that either need to be developed or are available in our research group. A part of the studies will be performed in close collaboration with Prof Lawrence at King’s College in London.

Qualifications

We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated scientist with a Master Degree on a chemical/ biophysical or technical subject preferably related to lipids. Within the project we will utilize a wide range of techniques including in vitro permeation studies across lipid membranes and skin membranes, X-ray and neutron diffraction, and several spectroscopic methods. The diffraction studies will be performed at the synchrotron radiation source in Grenoble (ESRF and ILL). Technical skills and experience with spectroscopic methods will be an advantage. The candidate must have excellent communicative skills and will work closely together with other members of our team.

Appointment

We offer a temporary full time position for a period of 4 years. Monthly gross salary is from € 2042,- in year 1 up to € 2612,- in year 4. Appointment will be under the terms of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO Nederlandse Universiteiten).

Information

For information please contact Mrs. Prof. Dr. J.A. Bouwstra, tel 071 5274208

Application letters including a CV can be sent to:

LACDR/ DDT

Ms C. van Gent

PO Box 9502

2300 RA Leiden