Possible Spam : Re: Renewal of STAR File trademark registration

  • To: "Discussion list of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of the CIFStandard (COMCIFS)" <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Possible Spam : Re: Renewal of STAR File trademark registration
  • From: Jim Kaduk via comcifs <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2020 13:36:09 -0500
  • Cc: kaduk@polycrystallography.com
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/relaxed;d=polycrystallography.com; s=dkim; h=Sender:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:Message-ID:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:To:From:Date:MIME-Version:Reply-To:Cc:Content-ID:Content-Description:Resent-Date:Resent-From:Resent-Sender:Resent-To:Resent-Cc:Resent-Message-ID:List-Id:List-Help:List-Unsubscribe:List-Subscribe:List-Post:List-Owner:List-Archive;bh=blwL2Tb12t6NEt5eGrxOAWq0Z36A3KPf+VdzcvGdzig=; b=B+xzd3I/VxZi5wo23gTvrVF8d2Xq+9auHeDtqr/G/GQDI9unXxrFZNP8VNXtMjIU7pal6Z4le79ocIa/tINy9XTZQgrP7lTIBcEq8ZvqwY+VlyW6iXbjb4p70oogJZ+NdUquZ4nEyYT7aencBW0DYZMWVzt/C3n+dDBxiulxdrvPZAkkny0kyWmCjacmtQX7VMhDphRdbXdjhfG9E1K39xcEhGPLqbAu1VDwSZd2fDhfwPG0ivKEAdxeNFFlZMKhugDw4oyI5IoGXhwfADbw2ZO40W5pgyyZEJLKCLyfs3d+1nNvuqj0mhJ3zk8M/roQeQKhloaicyDecpdePx5YTA==;
HI, Brian:
How much money are we talking about?
Jim Kaduk
On 2020-07-08 05:17, Brian McMahon via comcifs wrote:> Dear All> > The IUCr Executive Secretary has received a renewal notice for> the registered trademark "STAR File" that expires at the end of> the year. There is a cost involved and the Executive Secretary> has queried whether we still want to protect this trademark.> > The trademark was registered in 2001 with the UK Intellectual> Property Office as an outcome of the COMCIFS discussions in> 2000 that led to the policy statement on the CIF website> https://www.iucr.org/resources/cif/comcifs/policy> > That statement includes the following paragraph:> >      Protection of the standards>      To protect the STAR File and the CIF as standards for > interchanging>      and archiving electronic data, the IUCr, on behalf of the>      scientific community,> >        * holds the copyrights on the standards themselves,>        * owns the associated trademarks and service marks, and>        * holds a patent on the STAR File.> >      These intellectual property rights relate solely to the > interchange>      formats, not to the data contained therein, nor to the software>      used in the generation, access or manipulation of the data.> > Note that the STAR File patent has now expired in the sole jurisdiction> where it was filed (the UK), so the statement should now be revised at> least to reflect that fact.> > So far as we can ascertain, the only active trademark registration is> that for "STAR File", but I shall can the Executive Secretary to review> paper files for 2001 when he returns to the office. According to my> notes, "STAR File" was used as a test case but ran into some> measure of difficult as predicted by Nick Spadaccini in> https://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/lists/comcifs-l/msg00055.html> > Obviously the difficulties were overcome in this case, but I> don't know if the then Executive Secretary pursued other registration> attempts (e.g. for "CIF").> > I invite comment.> > Regards> Brian> _______________________________________________> comcifs mailing list> comcifs@iucr.org> http://mailman.iucr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/comcifs_______________________________________________comcifs mailing listcomcifs@iucr.orghttp://mailman.iucr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/comcifs