Re: Relationship between _publ_author.id and _audit_author.id

  • To: Mike Hoyland <mh@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Relationship between _publ_author.id and _audit_author.id
  • From: James Hester via coreDMG <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 23:09:02 +1000
  • Cc: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>, Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group<coredmg@iucr.org>
  • DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025;h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to:cc;bh=o/jJ/uHyVvor51WPOqpZ+OeXRmIc3cpwPoAZdemRBHE=;b=Rdh482+TJFo54SH6g67WVo4vB+S90VWYuCDRgttf6sfdikY2aZeK/Wt27d8BMXDmEZG0PiVFqAY6M1ifllantopLfkuT2Dta7SKEKVoREf3xCYkWV3+QZ+aitVJr2RHGKH67Gb+WraRvpAeFgVh5OZ1BfwwRponNVMyg3RXss4GBxyaTtlKEjGrLxJ/5sCWMpVh4YUZOfW5pl8JB/MzlQIvZrc5OV5X3sTJX+ZFygSD7bPuoo5G/rSr2XMECaM5BbrzWg81+QuhsJ0ApxsuNT5XK0k8dGGVj3H4463dGe9ARmOLQjzjUuDGVVEwwdFR64cj0icmL9Zhx+a/AfPxOgg==
And let me take the chance to emphasise that "global" data blocks are not specified by the CIF standards. IUCr journals and other bodies are of course welcome to enhance the standard through specific instructions to authors.

That said there is an obvious logic to the global data block scheme for situations where multiple structures are reported in a single paper, and even without magic names ("global") there is a straightforward heuristic for determining which (if any) blocks can be merged in a given collection of blocks. This could usefully be documented I'm thinking.

To bring it back to the discussion at hand, the publ_author list would be identical for all blocks in a multi-structure CIF file destined for publication (or placed in a "global" block), whereas the audit_author list could vary between blocks depending on e.g. which students had custody of which samples and who was operating the instrument on the day, which probably means that option (4) is the only viable one.

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 at 21:37, Mike Hoyland <mh@iucr.org> wrote:
On Friday, 7 August 2020 12:19:54 BST Horst Puschmann wrote:
> Hello Mike,
>
> Am I right in assuming that these submissions would handle the _publ_*
> information from the* global *section correctly?
>
> I really think that there should never be _publs_* items in the data blocks
> themselves.
>
> Horst

Hello Horst,

We handle the _publ data wherever it appears (one can never underestimate the
ingenuity of authors). However, it is very much encouraged and preferred that
the _publ data is in the global datablock. It is very common however for
single structure CIFs to contain only one datablock and not have a global
block at all.

Mike

With best wishes,
Mike Hoyland