IUCr Crystal growing competition - Edition 2019
How to participate?
The aim of the competition is to convey your experience of growing crystals through a video.
Each contribution should clearly show or mention the experimental work carried out by the participants during the growing of their single crystals (compounds and methods used are free of choice). Furthermore the contribution should reflect in a creative way on the experimental work and theoretical background and/or applications. It is strongly recommended to use English subtitles when applicable, and to provide the name and age of the participants, along with their photos, as well as the name of the school at the end of the video.
- Closing date for submissions: 17 November 2019
- Notification of winners: 27 January 2020
The 2019 competition is now closed - thanks to all who took part!
- The competition is open to students of primary or secondary schools; maximum age 18.
- Videos submitted to local competitions during 2019 may be also submitted to the IUCr competition.
- Duration of video: strictly no longer than four minutes.
- Format: mpeg, avi or mov, or hosted on a public video platform (e.g. YouTube, Vimeo)
- Language: mother language of participant or English.
- A maximum of two entries per category per school is permitted.
- The judging panel will be nominated by the International Union of Crystallography. The decisions of the judging panel are final.
- under 11 (primary school)
- 11-15 (high school middle forms)
- 15-18 (high school upper forms)
The winning contributions in each category will receive 'Young crystal growers' certificates and medals.
Criteria for evaluation
A panel of judges will evaluate the entries. The following six criteria will be used: creativity, aesthetic value, description of working plan and experimental work, clarity of explanations, scientific background, and safety.
Promoting the competition
Organisers of local/national/regional crystal growing contests adhering to the IUCr network may use the competition logo to advertise the event.Logos